Monday, February 24, 2014

Hand Crafting

 February 25th, 2014

I spend ridiculous amounts of time researching and hand crafting every object I model. Take this IBM 2401 tape drive. I had to sift through countless images and even the manual to figure out all the details of this device. None of the images were in good enough shape to use so I had to rebuild all the buttons and labels in Photoshop. Each of the buttons are accurate in color and labeling.




There is an interesting sense of accomplishment in breathing life into something as old as this tape drive. Kind of like refurbishing a car only in a virtual world.



I even build 3D letters by hand. Each of these letters takes about an hour to model. It reduces the amount of vertexes by a considerable amount and when you have a large board, every vertex matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment